Cornerstone’s Garden Movement is a Nutrition Education Initiative that teaches children, families and communities How Food Grows through gardening, Where Food Comes From so they understand the nutritional value of food, and How Food Fuels Our Bodies so they make the connection between food and improved health and wellness.
Weather we are harvesting, planting, providing a children’s nutrition class in the garden or conducting a workday, any time in our organic Community Garden @ Ybor brings the community together around wellness and health.
Those who participate from the neighborhood, churches, and corporate groups learn how to grow food and importance of the quality of food we put in our bodies. While they learn, they also help us provide an abundance of food to feed to children and families. Each harvest day everyone who works leaves with food and all of the food is distributed to nearby neighbors in the Ybor City neighborhood where fresh fruits and veggies are not readily available.
Many children don’t know where the food they eat comes from. Many have not tasted or had access to a variety of vegetables or fruits. Cooking with Kids provides an interactive cooking and tasting demonstration that takes produce form Cornerstone’s Community Garden @ Ybor and brings it from the garden to classroom tables at partner childcare centers and schools throughout the Tampa Bay Area. Lead by our Nutrition Manager and a core of nutrition interns, children and their teachers learn:
- Nutrition Lessons Using the USDA/FLDOH Curriculum “A Dozen Ways to Be Healthy” and STEM Curriculum from Florida Ag in the Classroom
- What They Like by Tasting and Taking Home Recipes and Produce for their Family
- Teachers receive a full copy of A Dozen Ways to Be Healthy or Florida Ag In the Classroom Curriculum so they can continue teaching lessons throughout the year and are invited to come for a Cooking with Kids field trip at our Community Garden @Ybor.
When You Sow We Grow!
Your Cornerstone Community Garden Movement Membership (CGMM) will help to fund a new garden in a food desert area within the Tampa Bay community.
We see this social enterprise as a way to continue spreading seeds of hope while nuturing bodies, developing minds and fostering hope.
- 1/3 of your membership fee helps to sponsor FREE memberships to partners who provide services to economically disadvantaged communities.
- 1/3 of your membership fee goes back to fund the Cornerstone Community Garden
- Garden Bag & Hand Tools GARDEN BAG & HAND TOOLS
- Earth Box & Seeds EARTH BOX & SEEDS
- Organic Soil
- Window Cling
- Gardening & Planting Book
- Quarterly Seedlings Subscription
- Free Online Community Coaching From Garden Experts
- Free Quarterly Gardening Tips and Workshops
- Monthly Gardening & Nutrition Tips
We welcome individual and group volunteers in our Community Garden on Tuesdays and second Saturdays, 9am-11am. – 2801 N. 17th Tampa, FL